The primary purpose of a Survey is to gauge employees' opinions on one or more subjects. Employees can (optionally) be shown their own Survey results after submitting their answers.
Its flexible design allows for multiple pages and Completion pages, unlimited free-form answer options, as well as multiple choice and multiple selection questions.
If enabled, Branching logic offers different paths and outcomes to employees based on their answers.
The Survey channel and Survey Templates are only available with the Engage Package; for further information please inquire with your Customer Success Manager.
CREATE A SURVEY
- On your Dashboard click Create Content
- Select Build Your Own and choose Survey
- Select a Theme to use with the Survey
- Select a folder to save the content in, give the Survey a name and click on Start
4.b. Or using the Start drop-down, select Start as Organization Template
This section covers the Survey Settings and Editors. Refer to the numbers on the image below for locations.
1. Content Editor
Navigate through the different views of your Content using the tabs at the top: Content, Pop-up and Feed View.
- Content: view and edit your main content in this view.
- Pop-up: view and edit the Pop-up notification in this view.
- Feed View: view and edit the App feed content summary in this view (All or Unread).
Note: Pop-up is only available if the notification type is set to Pop-up notification (default)
In the Content Editor you can add and edit questions, pages and completion pages. To see how, scroll to the How-to section of this article.
Click on Show all Surveys pages to display all Survey and completion pages.
2. Designer Mode
Access the Designer mode by clicking on the Design icon:
In this mode you can Drag & Drop modules such as Images, Slideshows, Text boxes, Videos and Separators onto your Survey.
Any module dragged onto the Header or Footer will appear on all pages and Completion pages. Any module dragged onto the Body will appear on all pages excluding Completion pages. Learn more on how to edit a completion page here.
Note: Modules can only be added to the Header, Footer and Body. To edit your questions, see here.
3. Content Settings
Those settings are available from the Content Editor. If you are in the Designer mode, editing a page or a question, exit those first:
Set the parameters for publishing your content. They are the following:
- Targets : select who will receive this content.
- Date and time : choose when this content will be visible by recipients.
- Notification : set how, how long and how often this content will appear to recipients.
- Delivery : specify the mediums used to deliver your content.
4. Survey Settings
In Survey settings you can manage responses behavior, display/hide progress indicators and rename buttons.
- Show question number: every question will display the question number.
- One response per user: users will be able to submit their responses only 1 time.
- Allow users to see their responses in the Message History: users can see their survey responses within the SnapComms App.
- Keep responses anonymous: responses are collected and displayed anonymously in reporting. This setting cannot be disabled once the survey has been published
- Remove from Message History after user submit results: once submitted, the survey will disappear from the SnapComms App.
- Display page counter next to Next/Previous buttons: users can see their progress in the Survey when this is enabled.
- Button Label update fields: There are 4 editable fields. By default, they are: Submit, Close, Next and Previous.
A second tab called Logic can be accessed through Survey settings. To learn how to set a Branching logic to your survey, click here.
5. Display Settings
In Display settings, you can control how the Survey looks and displays to users (Survey participants).
There are 4 tabs in Display settings:
- Size and location: control the size of your Content and Pop-up (if notification type = Pop-up). Change position and display mode of your Content and Pop-up.
- Background: control the background type (color or image) and border style of your Content. Control the background and border color and border size of your Pop-up.
- Style: change and customize the Theme for this content.
- Settings: rename, select a different language for content-related messages and change your Content display animation.
This section covers the How-tos of the Survey. Use the table below for quick navigation:
- How to add a page
- How to delete a page
- How to add a question
- How to edit a question
- How to change the question type
- How to add response options
- How to delete a question
- How to add a new completion page
- How to edit a completion page
- How to add Branching logic
- How to Preview my Survey
- How to Publish my Survey
- How to view my Survey results
Add a page
For longer surveys you can add pages to organize and distribute your questions. Pages can also be used together with Branching logic to define a path based on users’ responses.
To add a page:
- Click on Show all Survey pages to display all your pages
- Hover over a question to display the Edit icon - click on it to display the question controls
- Locate the Add new page icon and click to add a new page
- Adding a new page will create a blank question on this page. You can edit or delete the question or drag & drop questions from another page onto the newly created page.
- The survey height is determined by the tallest page in the survey.
Best practice: 2 or 3 questions, maximum 5 per page looks best. If you have more than 1 branching logic rule on the page, try splitting the questions into 2 pages so that there is only 1 logic rule per page.
Delete a page
You can only delete pages without questions. If you wish to delete a page, first delete or move the questions to another page.
To delete a page:
- Click on Show all Survey pages to display all your pages
Click on the page to edit
Click on the bin icon to Delete the page
Add a question
To add a new question, click on the question directly above where you want to add your new question and locate Add new question icon:
Your new question is added on the same page. To move it to another page or reorder within the page, use the Drag & Drop icon and drag the question to the desired location:
To add a question to an empty page, click on the page to edit and click on the icon to add a new question:
Edit a question
To start, click on the question you wish to edit. This opens the right sidebar editor where you can edit the question, change the question type, add a description to your question, add/arrange the responses and make the question mandatory (Required question).
There are 2 ways to edit your question title:
- Sidebar editing
Within the right sidebar editor, Click to add a question title.
- Inline editing
Edit the question title by clicking on Click to add a question title within your survey
To change the formatting of your question, go to Display Settings and Style. Toggle ON Customize theme for this content. The question formatting is controlled by Heading 3.
To add a description to your question, click on + Add description under the question editing field in the right sidebar editor. Once the description text box is added, the description can be edited in this box or inline directly in your survey.
To remove your description, click on Remove above the description text box.
Change the question type
In Surveys you can choose from 3 question types:
- Multiple choice: multiple options are offered to your employee. Only 1 response can be selected.
- Free-form answer: employees can respond to the question within the text box. Note: there is a 500-character limit to display in full in the Detailed responses report.
- Multiple select: multiple options are offered to your employees. They can select multiple responses.
To change your question type, click on the question to edit it. This opens the right sidebar editor, from where you can select your Type using the drop-down menu:
Add response options
Multiple choice and Multiple select questions offer multiple responses employees can choose from. See the section above to learn how to change the question type.
There are 2 ways to add response options to a question:
To start, click on the question you wish to edit. This opens the right sidebar editor.
- Sidebar editing
Within the right sidebar editor, under Responses, Click to add an option. There are 2 fields by default. Add all following options as required using the + Add response.
- Inline editing
Edit the response option by clicking on Click to add an option. You cannot add a new option, use the Sidebar editing to add a response option.
To reorganize your response options, use the Drag & Drop icon:
Delete a question
To delete a question, click on the question to delete then click on the red bin icon:
You can also delete a question from the right sidebar editor. Click on the question to delete and within the right sidebar editor click on more options and Delete question
Note: the question is deleted as soon as you press Delete. If you have pressed Delete by error, use the Undo button next to Preview once to bring your question back.
Add a new completion page
Completion pages are used to end a Survey. By default, the survey comes with one Completion page to inform employees that they have successfully submitted their responses.
When using Branching logic , you can offer alternative ends to your survey based on your employees’ answers.
To add a completion page:
- Click on the default Completion page in your Survey. It is the last page at the end of the survey.
- Click on the + icon to add another completion page
Edit a completion page
You can edit your completion page(s) by clicking on the page. This opens the right sidebar editor when you can rename your completion page, add an image and add a description. The Description text box Editor supports HTML formatting.
There are 2 ways to add images to your completion page:
Clicking on + Add image
The image is added between the page title and the description.
To change how your image is displayed, use the Edit icon next to the loaded image in the right sidebar editor:
Go to Size and location and disable Size to content to see more options.
Using the Text Editor in the page description
Place your image within the description box by using the Insert image button in the Text editor.
To change how your image is displayed, select the image in the description text box and click on Insert image again to see more options under Size.
You can also resize or move your image within the text:
You can also edit your Completion page text directly on the Content.
To delete a Completion page, see How to delete a page.
Add Branching logic
Branching logic allows you to set different survey paths and ending based on your employees’ responses to certain questions. It allows you to skip pages and display a specific Completion page when a specific response option is selected.
To set up your survey Branching logic:
- Go to Survey settings and select the tab called Logic
- Toggle ON Use branching logic
- Use the drop-down against each response option to select where selecting this option leads to
- If no logic is selected for a response option Choose a page is displayed. The participant will go on to the next page of the survey.
- The Branching logic will only apply to the page once the participant clicks on Next or Submit.
- If multiple Branching logic rules exist on a single page, only the first one will apply (but other question types will take precedence over free-form regardless of order)
- Page number format updates from Page 1/3 to Page 1 when Branching logic is enabled
Below is an example of Branching logic workflow for an office lunch survey:
Preview my Survey
Preview your Survey to review your design and/or to test your Branching logic workflow before publishing. The Preview shows the content as it would display on employees’ screens.
To preview, click on the eye icon next to the Designer Mode or the Preview button next to Publish (or Submit for moderation if you have limited administrator permissions)
In Preview, use the sharing options to send this preview to someone who does not have access to the SnapComms Content Manager. You can share a link or send an email from the Preview page.
Publish my Survey
Once happy with your settings (Targets, Date and time, Notification, Delivery), design and survey flow, click on Publish.
Your survey will be published either immediately or scheduled as per Date and time.
Note: If you do not see the Publish button, you have limited administrator permissions. Submit your survey for moderation by clicking on Submit for moderation. This content will join the moderation queue and be published by an administrator with moderation and publishing permissions.